Monday 29 August 2016

Turning Over a New (Comic) Leaf


After a long period of inactivity, I've decided to reboot this blog for the purpose of comics reviews. I read enough of them - approximately 1,200 a year - so why not?

I started composing little capsule reviews more than a year ago with no intention of making them public, but now's the time to start doing so. That means I have quite the backlog to plough through before I come up to date. Some of the early reviews are comprised of little more than a sentence or two, and occasionally less than that. In those few instances I'll present the covers of the comics I read just for the record. Anybody else might like to consider them visual aids to reading order, if they be so inclined. 

I love comics. Today, my flat is overflowing with them to the point they're almost certainly a safety hazard. When I was a kid, American comics seemed hard to come by and even when I was lucky enough to get my hands on one, it was always a random issue divorced from the wider fictional continuity. I never got a sense of 'the bigger picture.' Now I have more comics than I could ever have dreamed of and I make a habit of reading big chunks of continuity at a time. I consider each reading project a piece in a jigsaw. I might never "complete" the vast jigsaw that makes up the Marvel Universe, for example, but I'm having a damn good go!