Monday 19 September 2016

Incredible Hulk (1968) # 468-474


(I originally read these comics in mid July 2015)

So... Just finished the short Hulk run by Joe Casey that follows Peter David's and which closed out the second volume of the title before it was relaunched in 1999. It starts off by answering the question of 'Who killed Betty Banner?' for the reader, if not the characters (hint: he's big, green and scaly), and the Circus of Crime two-parter is okay (even without the Ringmaster, BOOO). However the concluding trilogy, 'The Great Astonishment' is very dull. I almost fell asleep reading it.

Art is by Javier Pulido (who I like), but this is early work from him, and Ed McGuinness, who provides chunky, manga-esque stylings. 

I collected and read this short run when it came out and I was looking for a jumping-on point. I was underwhelmed then, and seventeen years later nothing's changed.