Thursday 8 September 2016

'Maximum Security', inc. Maximum Security: Dangerous Planet (2000) # 1, Maximum Security (2000) # 1-3, U.S.Agent (2001) # 1-3


(I originally read these comics in March 2015)

Reading comics in a huge run like those below really makes you appreciate continuity all the more. Plots begun in 'Avengers Forever' and 'Infinity' are picked up in the regular book, which then develop into the 'Maximum Security' crossover, which spawns the USAgent series, etc. Most of the Maximum Security tie-ins didn't have much to do with the overarching story, though. Marvel more or less just slapped the logo on the covers so mugs like me would buy every issue, including those of characters I hate. (I'm looking at you, Gambit!)

Speaking of continuity, in one of the Maximum Security issues there are appearances by dozens of alien races, some widely known, like the Skrulls, but also the more obscure Aakon. I wouldn't have thought anything of it except I'd happened to have read the issue of Captain Marvel where they'd debuted a week or two earlier. I had assumed they were a dashed-off contribution to the Marvel Universe, never to be seen again. That they should turn up again in a comic thirty-odd years later again shows a commitment to continuity that I think is lacking in modern comics. Take a bow, Kurt Busiek.

I will of course provide a more in-depth look at these comics on the occasion I come to revisit them.


   
   
   
   
   
   


Maximum Security: Dangerous Planet (2000) # 1, Maximum Security (2000) # 1-3, Avengers (1998) # 35, Bishop: The Last X-Man (1999) # 15, Captain America (1998) # 36, Gambit (1999) # 23, Iron Man (1998) # 35, Thor (1998) # 30, Uncanny X-Men (1963) # 387, X-Men (1991) # 97 and X-Men Unlimited (1993) # 29 are collected in:

Softcover:

Maximum Security: Dangerous Planet (2000) # 1, Maximum Security (2000) # 1-3 and Avengers (1998) # 35 are collected in:

Hardcover:

Softcover: